Biochar Natural Fertilizer - Cill Ulta An Leas Glas
Cill Ulta, a community services project, has been involved in horticulture for almost three decades, providing naturally grown produce for the local traditional Gaeltacht community. The team has extensive expertise in soil health and growing, biodiversity and conservation. Outreach work in cultivation in the local community to grow viable crops and awareness of endangered species in our surroundings lead to the development of the prototype.
Cill Ulta An Leas Glas – Natural Fertilizer was developed through the endeavours of our European Innovation Project, to grow potential market crops in an upland area in a sustainable method. The addition of biochar to the prototype Comfrey and Nettle natural fertilizer for a slow release realised the full potential of this product. The cultivation of Comfrey and Nettle in local abandoned land is providing cover for wild birds in an Area of Conservation. So as an outcome of the fertilizer production we don’t only have a high quality fertiliser which supports soil health and organic matter, but also established a way of sustainable farming where we can produce food and care for our endangered species.
Cill Ulta An Leas Glas
Cill Ulta An Leas Glas – Natural Fertilizer was developed through the endeavours of our European Innovation Project, to grow potential market crops in an upland area in a sustainable method. The addition of biochar to the prototype Comfrey and Nettle natural fertilizer for a slow release realised the full potential of this product.
Target group, beneficiaries or clients
- Farming communities, Horticulture / Food Producers, Landscapers ( Parks, Sporting Fields / Arenas)
- Education and Training in Sustainable Farm Management.
- State stakeholders (to enrich their public places)
Cill Ulta An Leas Glas – Natural Fertilizer is a biologically natural fertilizer using the mineral compounds of Comfrey and Nettle combined with biochar for a slow release.
- Cill Ulta An Leas Glas – Natural Fertilizer is a circular economy product which provides an ecologically friendly alternative to food producers and farmers to support biodiversity and soil health.
- The production of Cill Ulta An Leas Glas – Natural Fertilizers will also support conservation of endangered species through the growing of Comfrey and Nettle as wild bird cover before harvesting.
- Supporting organic matter in soils
- Supporting biodiversity
- Protecting ground water quality
- Promoting sustainable farm management
- Encouraging sustainability in the farm to fork process whilst including the awareness of conservation in the community consciousness.
- Wide use from agriculture, horticulture and community spaces.
Unique Selling Point
CIll Ulta An Leas Glas – Natural Fertilizer combines sustainability, food security and conservation.
- It supports citizens to become sustainable through their basic need for food.
- Provides an alternative to the farming community at a time of potential crisis.
- Demonstrates the effectiveness of biochar made from waste biomass when combined with biologically rich plant minerals.
- It has a very high transferability since it can be used in horticulture, agriculture and landscaping, in public and in private/industry/commercial locations.
- It can also be combined with joint learning and developing activities
- It is relatively easy to be produced – low input planting that will also support biodiversity and the conservation of endangered species whilst encouraging consciousness for sustainability)